Tuesday, November 24, 2009

cookie project #2: traditional shortbread

Willing to embark on my next cookie project, I thought I'd go back to basics and start with the traditional shortbread.
The Recipe
These look more like peanut butter cookies but I didn't want plain round shortbreads so I tried this.

And some cute shaped ones like these =)
They look crumbly but the flavour was better than I expected. Very light and buttery. Mmmmmm....
Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
8 oz/250 g butter at room temperature
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup all-purpose flour

Directions:
1. Preheat over to 300 F/150 C. Grease a cookie sheet
2. Cream butter and confectioner's sugar until light and fluffy. Sift cornstarch and flour together and add to the creamed mixture. Knead well.
3. Roll out between two sheets of baking paper to 1/3 in/1cm thickness. Cut into squares or use cookie cutters for shape.
3. Bake for 30 mins. or until pale golden. (I only did 18 minutes for my cookies and they came out just as I wanted)

Update: Lately, I've been baking my cookies at 350 F for 11 mins. Try it for shorter baking time =)

No comments:

Thanks August Empress for the cool background!