Tuesday, January 12, 2010

the apron project....and many more!

I've been wanting to make an apron since I fell in love with the aprons from Anthropologie. So these 5 days off, A and I made our way to Fabricland to buy the materials. I wanted a nice print and I was sure I wanted some ruffles so after a few sketches and pinning down, I finally got a hold of a sewing machine and made this. I am so happy with the way it turned out, I had to share it with you =) Excuse my "cooking" hairdo and the fact that I look like I just woke up in this picture!
Another thing I've been meaning to try -- Betsey Johnson inspired charm bracelets. I love the idea of mixing the chain and the silver beads together. I also added a few swarovski crystals into the mix and got some nice charms all from BeadGirl.
On the way home from a dessert run with a friend, we passed by Chapters and I've decided, I waited long enough to get this book. Look!
I've only read a few pages but I'm loving it so far! I love how the pages seemed more like blog entries and how personal her recipes were. She truly is a pioneer woman.
Anyway, I couldn't decide what to cook for dinner, but vegetables are always good. I always pick at least two different coloured vegetables to cook. They look more pleasing that way. The choices for this evening were zucchini and red peppers. I added the mushrooms just because =)
Excuse me as I play with my camera =)
You can cut the vegetables pretty much any way you want. I always cut my zucchinis in half circles because they remind me so much of cucumbers (they are from the same family, are they not?) The red peppers, I cut into horizontal strips.
I usually sautee the vegetables with a little bit of garlic and onions if I have them. (I don't have onions in this case but I use the pre-chopped garlic in oil, yes...the ones you buy in jars. I like taking shortcuts =p). Add about 2 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce. I use the thick teriyaki sauce since you can also buy the regular not-so-thick teriyaki sauce.
Here it is =)
After making the vegetables, I went ahead and cooked the main course --- salmon! Did I mention we love seafood?? We eat a lot of salmon, A and I. This is pretty much all we eat especially when we're eating out. For this recipe, I wanted to create a cream cheese sauce to add to my fried (or grilled) salmon. I always season my salmon with a little bit of lemon juice and salt.
Here is the recipe for the cream sauce:

Half a bar of cream cheese
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 chicken bouillon cube
1 teaspoon of dill weed

In a saucepan, mix the milk and cream cheese until the cheese is melted. Add the chicken bouillon. Don't ask =). Finally, add the dill weed. Pour on top of your nicely cooked salmon and serve!

2 comments:

toni said...

That is such a pretty apron! And so is the wearer! :D

Your blog is really such a joy to read. Your photos are awesome, the recipes great, and the mood and tone is just warm and celebratory. Always a good read here. Keep it up Jan!

jan said...

thanks, toni!
i am loving this phase of experimenting and self-discovery!

congratulations on your baby! i can't believe he's four months old already. he looks very much like you and your hubby!

Thanks August Empress for the cool background!