Thursday, March 17, 2011

creamy shrimp and spinach pasta

How do you know if your pasta is cooked?? My mom used to say, "if it sticks to the wall (or ceiling) when you fling it, it's cooked!" Hence, the explanation for this picture. =) Of course, you can also --- taste it! (duh! hehe) Anyway, I love my mom's sense of humour!

Anyway, I had some spinach and shrimp left in the fridge and I thought, I'm sure I can put together something to put these two to good use. Spinach is one of the healthiest vegetables and it's rich in so many nutrients including Vitamin A, Iron, Calcium, folic acid and many more. Remember the old Popeye and Olive cartoons? Spinach really is good for you =) 
I'm bored of the regular tomato sauce for spaghetti, so here's a creamy shrimp and spinach pasta recipe for you. 


Ingredients

10-12 medium shrimps
2 cups of spinach (I basically used half of the regular spinach bunch you get from the supermarket and cut them in smaller pieces)
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 medium sized tomatoes, diced
1 tablespoon of butter
1/2 cup of milk
1 1/2 teaspoon of flour
1 chicken cube
salt and pepper to taste
1 slice of lemon

Directions:
  • Cook pasta as package directions suggests.
  • Sprinkle some salt and pepper on shrimp. 
  • Heat butter on a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the minced garlic. Saute for about 30 seconds.
  • Add shrimp and saute for about 5 to 10 minutes. I like my shrimps well cooked, so cook it to what you desire. Add tomatoes.
  • Add the spinach and saute until cooked. 
  • Aside, mix 1/2 cup of milk and flour and stir to avoid clumping. Add to the skillet. 
  • Add the chicken cube and mix well. Season as desired. 
  • Squeeze some lemon before serving, or in my case, I added a little bit of orange rind. It adds quite a bit of flavour. 
  • Enjoy!

No comments:

Thanks August Empress for the cool background!